Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Group of former flour mill and malting buildings, built c. 1830, now in use as part of university. Pitched and hipped slate and tile roofs, with some roof profiles altered. Roughly dressed sandstone and limestone walls, having some ashlar limestone quoins. Segmental-arched window openings with red brick dressings and timber sliding sash windows. Replacement doors.
This former flour mill and malting complex occupies a scenic location, looking on to the river Lee. Built in the first part of the nineteenth century, this group is an interesting reminder of the industrial heritage which was once associated with this part of the city. The imposing scale of the buildings, and the materials utilised in their construction make a positive addition the area. The buildings are enhanced by the retention of notable features and materials, such as the timber sliding sash windows, slate roofs and segmental-arched openings.