Survey Data

Reg No

13309023


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social


Previous Name

Saint Mary's Catholic Church


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1870 - 1875


Coordinates

225898, 271663


Date Recorded

17/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached gable-fronted Roman Catholic church on cruciform-plan, dated 1872, with four-bay nave elevations, single-bay transepts to the northeast and southwest, canted apse to the northwest and with a three-stage tower on a square-plan attached to the southwest side of the entrance gable having a dressed limestone octagonal spire over Gable-fronted entrance porch and single-storey sacristy with flat roof attached to the northeast side of the nave, gabled single-bay single-storey addition to the northwest side of each transept. Pitched natural slate roofs with carved limestone and wrought-iron cross finials, dressed limestone coping and carved limestone brackets to gables, cast-iron rainwater goods, carved limestone eaves course and cast-iron ridge crestings. Snecked limestone walls with dressed limestone quoins, carved limestone string courses and dressed limestone plinth. Segmental-headed date plaque with chamfered dressed limestone surround, carved limestone sill and cut limestone voussoirs above. Dressed limestone corner buttresses. Trefoil-headed niche to tower with dressed limestone surround, carved limestone sill and statue. Dressed limestone spiralettes to corners of tower. Pointed arch window opening to front elevation with four-light window having Geometric tracery, stained glass windows, chamfered dressed limestone surround and cut limestone voussoirs. Pointed arch openings to tower with carved limestone trefoil and quatrefoil tracery, metal louvers, chamfered dressed limestone surround and cut limestone voussoirs. Pointed arch window openings to nave and paired to tower (on southwest face at first stage level) with stained glass windows and chamfered block-and-start surrounds. Round windows to transepts with decorative carved limestone tracery, stained glass windows, dressed limestone block-and-start surrounds and cut limestone voussoirs. Pointed arch window openings to apse with paired cusped lights having decorative carved limestone tracery, stained glass windows, dressed limestone block-and-start surrounds and cut limestone voussoirs. Pointed arch door openings to front elevation with timber battened doors, limestone steps, dressed chamfered limestone surrounds and carved limestone hoodmouldings and stops. Pointed arch door opening to tower with limestone steps, timber battened door, chamfered dressed limestone surround and voussoirs and gabled hood above with dressed limestone capping having decorative carved limestone finial and incised detailing. Shouldered square-headed openings with timber battened doors and chamfered dressed limestone surrounds. Retains interior features such as stained glass windows, timber gallery and organ. Scissors truss roof. Set back from road with rubble limestone walls having dressed limestone piers with carved limestone caps, having cross incisions, and cast-iron railings. Located to the southwest end of Edgeworthstown. Parochial house adjacent to the southwest (not in survey).

Appraisal

This fine late-nineteenth century Gothic Revival Roman Catholic church dominates the main approach road into Edgeworthstown from the south. It is well-built using good quality limestone and has elaborate cut stone detailing throughout, particularly to the openings and to the spire. The large four light window with Geometric tracery and the spire provide a suitably fine first impression of the church from the south. This building replaced an early Roman Catholic church on this site (built c. 1790) and it demonstrates the growing power, wealth and architectural ambition of the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland during the second half of the nineteenth century. The open interior space impresses, particularly the elaborate timber roof structure, and it is well-lit by good quality late-Victorian stained glass windows. This church was built to designs by William Calbeck (c. 1824 – 1872), a prolific church architect of his day, for Canon Peter Farrelly. It was opened for worship in September 1873. The site was apparently donated by the Edgeworth family (for the earlier church) in 1787. The well detailed tower and the slightly stunted spire were added in 1907 to designs by Ashlin and Coleman. The gate piers to the entrance continue the attention to detail present in the stonework of the church and complete the setting of this fine edifice.