Reg No
14807008
Rating
Regional
Categories of Special Interest
Architectural
Original Use
House
In Use As
House
Date
1780 - 1800
Coordinates
233995, 225343
Date Recorded
18/10/2004
Date Updated
--/--/--
Corner-sited six-bay two-storey house, built c.1790, with four-bay single-storey over basement block to south, curvilinear pediment to corner entrance bay, now with pub to ground floor. Fronts directly onto street. Pitched tiled roof with rendered chimneystacks, terracotta pots and cast-iron rainwater goods. Ruled-and-lined render to walls with rendered quoins, plinth and eaves course. Replacement casement windows with rendered shouldered surrounds and stone sills. Square-headed door opening with rendered shouldered surround to replacement timber door. Round-headed door opening with timber spoked fanlight, rendered surround and replacement door. Tooled limestone threshold, square-headed door opening to corner bay with replacement door, flanked by rendered pilasters that also flank timber casement windows to pub surmounted by replacement fascia, painted panel over door.
Situated on a corner to the south of Kilbeggan Bridge, Kelly’s occupies a prominent position in Tullamore. Carefully designed to address to the corner, it is a visually appealing building with its pedimented entrance corner bay and simple but effective render detailing. According to a date stone it was built by Charles Berry in 1790, and thus has been a landmark building for over 200 years.