Reg No
15321036
Rating
Regional
Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Technical
Original Use
Mill (water)
Date
1760 - 1820
Coordinates
233544, 235639
Date Recorded
14/09/2004
Date Updated
--/--/--
Detached three-bay four-storey former corn mill, built c.1790, now in ruins. Two-bay two-storey extension to southwest. Original pitched natural slate roof now collapsed. Constructed of rubble limestone with lime rendered over, brick quoin detailing to corners. Square-headed and segmental-headed window openings, some with stone lintels. Square-headed door openings with stone lintels over. Remains of millrace to north running east-to-west. Access gained through gateway with rubble limestone piers (on circular plan) to southeast, flanked by sections of rubble limestone walling. Single-arched bridge over stream to southwest. Located to the north of Kilbeggan adjacent to the River Brosna.
This corn mill was one of three working mills within the Kilbeggan area in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth-century. Its remaining shell is an indication of the bourgeoning local economy at the time. Although now a ruin it retains its original mass and has an imposing presence that adds considerably to the Kilbeggan countryside. The composition is completed by the millrace, the bridge and by the boundary wall and vernacular gateposts to the southwest.