Reg No
15704509
Rating
Regional
Categories of Special Interest
Architectural
Original Use
Mill (water)
Date
1842 - 1902
Coordinates
278015, 106994
Date Recorded
05/09/2007
Date Updated
--/--/--
Attached three-bay three-storey mill with half-attic, extant 1902, on a rectangular plan. In use, 1911. Disused, 2007. For sale, 2009. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered slate flagged eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Fine roughcast walls with concealed cut-"Old Red Sandstone" flush quoins to corners. Square-headed window openings with shallow sills, and concealed dressings including timber lintels framing one-over-one (first floor) or three-over-three (top floor) timber sash windows with timber fittings to gables to side elevations. Set in shared grounds in hollow.
A mill representing an important component of the industrial heritage of south County Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one repurposing the shell of a mill marked on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1840; published 1841), suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form; and the disproportionate bias of solid to void in the massing compounded by the uniform or near-uniform proportions of the openings on each floor.