Reg No
20813011
Rating
Regional
Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic
Original Use
House
In Use As
House
Date
1870 - 1890
Coordinates
183215, 102649
Date Recorded
26/09/2006
Date Updated
--/--/--
Attached two-storey house, built c. 1880, having three-bay first floor and four-bay ground floor, with integral carriageway to east end of façade. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks, cast-iron rainwater goods and render eaves course. Rendered walls with render quoins, platband between floors, and plinth. Square-headed window openings with render surrounds with floral motifs to top corners, and having timber sliding sash windows, six-over-six pane to first floor and tripartite one-over-one pane to ground floor, all with render sills. Square-headed door opening with timber panelled door, overlight and render surround comprising fluted pilasters with plinths, fluted console brackets and moulded render cornice. Square-headed carriage arch with timber battened door.
The modest size and form of this building is embellished and articulated by the render surrounds to the openings and by the retention of the varied timber sliding sash windows. The well-executed doorcase affords the building a central focus and adds elegance to the modest form, while the integral carriageway adds context to the site.