Reg No
20813018
Rating
Regional
Categories of Special Interest
Architectural
Original Use
House
Historical Use
Shop/retail outlet
In Use As
House
Date
1810 - 1830
Coordinates
183324, 102589
Date Recorded
26/09/2006
Date Updated
--/--/--
Attached three-bay two-storey house, built c. 1820, formerly also in use as shop. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods and rendered chimneystack. Roughcast rendered walls with render plinth and edging. Square-headed window openings with decorative render surrounds, cut-stone sills and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows, those to ground floor having cast-iron window guards. Former shopfront arrangement of openings to central bay of ground floor with square-headed door opening having timber panelled door and timber architrave, integrated with square-headed window opening with fixed multiple-pane timber window, all having decorative render surround.
The modest size and form of this building are typical of urban houses of its era in Ireland. Its form is embellished and articulated by the render surrounds to the openings and the retention of the timber sliding sash windows adds further interest to the façade. The cast-iron protective railings and the former shopfront arrangement of openings to the ground floor add context and further interest to the building.