Reg No
30407315
Rating
Regional
Categories of Special Interest
Architectural
Original Use
House
Date
1770 - 1790
Coordinates
166786, 233213
Date Recorded
14/10/2009
Date Updated
--/--/--
Detached five-bay two-storey over basement house, built c.1780, with projecting stairs bay to middle of rear with catslide roof. Now derelict. Shallow hipped natural slate roof with pair of rendered chimneystacks to middle of ridge, render band at eaves level, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Parallel ashlar limestone quoins and rendered plinth to front elevation, and with roughcast rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to front elevation, two-over-two pane to upper floors of rear and gone or not visible elsewhere, with raised render reveals and tooled limestone sills. Eight-panel timber entrance door to front elevation, set into carved limestone doorcase, having ornate petal fanlight above, and Doric columns supporting open-bed pediment with carved stone frieze and reached by carved stone steps with rendered balustrade having flat stone copings. Two-storey rendered outbuildings to rear forming courtyard with bellcote to west of dwelling. Set away from road in open field, with coursed random rubble limestone wall to rear boundary and rendered wall to front.
This detached Georgian house is striking for its squat appearance and, although not occupied, retains the grandeur and intrinsic character of an Irish country house. The classical proportions, pedimented entrance and stone detailing to the front elevation add to its attractiveness. The outbuildings to the rear add to the setting of the main house, are sturdily built in symmetrical arrangement with the house and enhance its architectural significance.