Reg No
40903833
Rating
Regional
Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Technical
Original Use
Bridge
In Use As
Bridge
Date
1775 - 1780
Coordinates
241657, 424590
Date Recorded
19/11/2008
Date Updated
--/--/--
Triple-arch road bridge over the Burnfoot River, dated 1779. Elliptical-headed arches, with dressed rubble stone voussoirs, v-shaped rubble stone cutwaters with domed cap. Rubble stone spandrels and parapets partly cement rendered, east side quite overgrown, engraved stone with inscription and date to parapet; east parapet wall continued to north by rubble stone wall with dressed soldier coursed rubble stone coping, with cast-iron hooped pedestrian gate on rectangular squared stone pier with chamfered stone cap, stone steps to east side of gate leading down to field. Single concrete carriageway leading to former Birdstown House.
A modest but robust stone bridge, an appealing landmark with its well-crafted arches and voussoirs. The engraved stone establishes that it was built by Richard Charleton in 1779, adding to its significance, it being unusual to be able to date such a bridge so accurately. Still fulfilling its vital function of spanning Burnfoot River, it demonstrates quality masonry and engineering skills. It is integral to the overall character of this demesne as part of a group of structures comprising outbuildings (see 40903811) and gateways (see 40903830, 40903831, 40903832).