Survey Data

Reg No

41401835


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1780 - 1820


Coordinates

269875, 320958


Date Recorded

29/04/2012


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay two-storey house with attic, built c.1800, with single-storey lean-to addition to rear and to west gable, and farm buildings to rear (north). Pitched slate roof, with rendered chimneystacks having decorative string courses to gable ends, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Recent roof-lights to north. Exposed coursed rubble limestone walls, with squared stone quoins. Square-headed window openings with red brick block-and start surrounds, segmental-headed relieving arches with rubble stones voussoirs to window and door openings possibly indicating shape of original openings. Six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to long elevations, with some replacement timber casement windows to rear. Segmental-headed door opening with replacement segmental-headed doorcase of timber-framed fanlight and sidelights flanking raised-and-fielded timber panelled door, approached by replacement stone platform, and three recent stone steps. Range of single and two-storey stable and farm buildings forming courtyard, with pitched slated roofs and coursed rubble limestone walls, segmental-headed openings with gauged-brick surrounds to doors and windows. Main approach from south-west with wrought-iron gates on cut-stone square-plan piers with domed stone caps. Located on hill, north of Ballybay to Newbliss road in close proximity to Derryvally Presbyterian complex to west and Craig’s Castle to south-east.

Appraisal

This attractive country house retains its original early nineteenth century character and elegant Georgian proportions. The house has retained its original character and proportions, and is enhanced by its timber sash windows. The gate piers and the farm buildings to the north illustrate that this was a productive farm. Derryvally House faces south to the Ballybay to Newbliss road in close proximity to First Ballybay Presbyterian complex of two churches and a school to the west, the Dundalk to Enniskillen Branch of the Ulster railway bounds the site to the north, and Craig's Castle, a fine late eighteenth-century house lies to the south-east.