Reg No
50110148
Rating
Regional
Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
Original Use
House
In Use As
Shop/retail outlet
Date
1870 - 1890
Coordinates
315684, 232589
Date Recorded
13/06/2017
Date Updated
--/--/--
Attached two-bay three-storey former house and shop, built c. 1880, having lower projection to rear (east) elevation. Now in use as shop with apartment over. Hipped slate roof, set perpendicular to street, concealed behind red brick parapet having terracotta panels with Tudor rose detail, and terracotta fluted pilasters supporting carved stepped brick cornice having carved stone coping. Pitched slate roof to rear projection. Red and yellow brick chimneystacks with clay pots. Some shared cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond to walls to front (west) elevation, having red brick pilasters, label-moulding and sill course. Yellow brick, laid in English garden wall bond, to walls to side (north) elevation. Segmental-headed window openings with terracotta keystones, carved brick voussoirs and shouldered recesses to reveals. One-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Terracotta panel having wrought-iron hanging sign support. Shopfront comprising terracotta pilasters with Ionic capitals and marigold detail, supporting curved fluted console brackets, stepped cornice and timber nameplate. Remains of wrought-iron awning supports. Square-headed door opening flanked by fluted pilasters, having pediment and geometric glazed overlight, with timber panelled door. Square-headed opening with plain overlight, recent shop door and window. Set on east side of South Richmond Street, having recent building attached at south.
The ornate brick façade lends this structure a distinctive Victorian character, and contrasts with the classical style of the adjacent earlier buildings. The shopfront retains a wealth of decorative detail and is an excellent example of the design and quality of late nineteenth century shopfronts. The building is an important part of the historic streetscape of South Richmond Street. This area of Dublin was originally laid out in the eighteenth century, however the opening of the Grand Canal to the south, in 1801, accelerated the development of Richmond Street South. Many of the buildings display an attractive nineteenth-century character.