Reg No
50120122
Rating
Regional
Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
Original Use
Electricity substation
In Use As
Electricity substation
Date
1885 - 1905
Coordinates
317930, 236352
Date Recorded
26/10/2017
Date Updated
--/--/--
Freestanding single-storey electrical sub-station, built c. 1895, with single-bay short elevations to east and west and four-bay north and south elevations. Flat roof hidden behind rendered parapet, with moulded render cornice and eaves course. Decorative box-profile cast-iron rainwater goods to long walls. Channelled rendered walls with cast-iron air vents and render pilasters over raised ashlar granite plinth course. Oculus, with carved granite surround, keystone and decorative wrought-iron grille at high level in short walls. Square-headed doorways with carved lugged granite architraves and timber panelled doors to short walls. Stands on island at junction of Malahide and Clontarf roads, adjacent to Marino Crescent and Marino Mart.
A neatly proportioned electrical sub-station located at a key junction, adjacent to Marino Crescent. Despite its utilitarian function, it is embellished by dressings executed in a combination of render and ashlar granite. The high level of design is representative of the confidence placed in the newly introduced technology. It may originally have been associated with the Clontarf and Hill of Howth Tramway Company that ran along the Clontarf Road immediately to the south. The company began the electrification of their tram network in the late nineteenth century.